The Cyberpunk 2077 gameplay footage released last year at Gamescom was impressive, but it wasn’t anywhere near as impressive as it is now that it has been upscaled to 8K. The best part is that you can even see the different on an “old-fashioned” 1080p monitor, and quite easily too.
The footage comes courtest of Ani HVX on YouTube and Preston Dortsch on Twitter. To create the upscaled video quality a tech similar to to the way you can upscale footage to 4k with Nvidia’s DLSS technology. Even better yet, it looks like we’ll be seeing even more of this footage in 8K as it’s released, as Dortsch admitted on Reddit:
“I’ll be properly upscaling whatever future video content CDPR releases over the game so keep your eyes peeled for that”
Now, to explain the trickery a bit. I know it doesn’t seem logical that you can actually see the improvement offered by 8K on a 4K or lower monitor. As explained by Reddit user Tencer386, it falls on the higher bitrate of the footage, paired with better compression and higher resolution. The real takeaway here, outside of the eye candy that is this footage, is that it’s our first real look at what we can expected from the Xbox Series X port of Cyberpunk 2077 – something that Cd Projekt Red has promised would happen and would be made available for free to anyone who purchases the game for the Xbox One.
In the meantime, be sure to check out some of our recent Cyberpunk 2077 coverage:
- Cyberpunk 2077 Will Use Side Quests, aka Street Stories, to Help You Explore the Open World
- Buy Cyberpunk 2077 At Launch, Play on Xbox Series X Later
- CD Projekt Red Will Upgrade Cyberpunk 2077 for the Xbox Series X
- Cyberpunk 2077 Will See Plenty of DLC After Launch
- Cyberpunk 2077 Won’t Exactly Be 100-Percent At Launch
- Updated: A New Listing Has Leaked the Cyberpunk 2077 Xbox One X Bundle!
- The Cyberpunk 2077 Limited Edition Bundle And All Optional Accessories Will Cost Nearly $800