Matt McLaurin, PlayStation’s VP of User Experience, spent some time on LinkedIn to answer some fan questions about the PS5. The idea behind the social Q&A was to discuss the PS5’s design, so we didn’t learn anything in terms of pricing, but we have learned that the PS5’s future is bright.
PS5 Special Editions and Potential Customization
When Sony finally revealed the PlayStation 5, the general consensus is that it looks downright amazing. While the Xbox Series X is rectangular and fairly bland, the PS5 features a subtle V shape with sharp edges and a two-tone design with sexy blue backlighting. The PS5 will, without a doubt, look amazing in my entertainment system as I’m sure it will in yours too. But, that’s now all that’s written in the cards. Sony is planning to release a number of special edition and customized models.
“You can count on even more beautiful (and hopefully radical) special editions. Customization with special editions will be beyond anything seen before.”
Now, that doesn’t exactly say that you’ll be able to customize the PS5 yourself, but Sony didn’t take all the extra time in development to let us down. If you look at the design, it’s quite possible that those exterior panels are interchangeable. Or, at the very least, easy to complement with skins or other snap-on cases.
The PS5 Has An All-New User Interface
The PlayStation 4’s user interface is okay, but it’s not perfect. For the PS5, Sony has pulled out all the stops and created an all-new user interface. According to McLaurin, the PS5’s UI is “a whole new visual language and a complete rearchitecting of the user interface.” That means that the PS5 won’t only look different on the outside, but on your screen as well. We’ve actually seen a brief glimpse of the interface during the PS5 event (shown above on the far left), but there wasn’t a whole lot to see outside of some font and the PS5 button logo. Fortuantely, we’ll be seeing more of the PS5’s UI soon, so we’ll get a look at what the next-gen interface looks like too.
Other PS5 News You Need to See
- The New Gameplay Trailer for PS5-Exclusive Godfall Has Me Super Hyped
- The PS5 Has Finally Been Revealed, But Sony Hasn’t Shown It’s Full Hand Yet
- Rumor: The Sony PS5 Has Performance Issues
- The Xbox Series X Might be More Powerful, but Industry Insiders Say the PS5 is Better
- Sony Has Finally Shown Off the PS5’s New DualSense Controller
- The First External Report of the DualSense PS5 Controller Is Vaguely Positive
- You Can’t Officially Pre-Order the PS5 Yet, But You Can Arrange to Be Notified When You Can
- Sony May Be Limiting Day-One PS5 Stock To Avoid Delays
- The Co-Creator of Halo Praises the PS5’s SSD Technology
- Emphasizing Value Over Price Is Just a Nice Way To Say The PS5 Will Probably Be Expensive
- Oddworld Soulstorm’s PS5 Reveal Trailer Brought Tons of Action and Mayhem
- Techland’s Lead Game Developer Says the PS5’s DualSense Controller Could be the “Best in History”
- Will Instant Demos Give the PlayStation 5 An Edge Over the Xbox Series X?
- A PlayStation Job Listing Hints at an October Launch for the PS5
- Sony Says the PS5 Is Still On Track for Holiday Release
- Thanks to Epic, We Have Our First Real Look at What the PS5 is Capable Of
- Epic Games Boss Says the Sony PS5’s SSD is “Way Ahead” of High-End PCs
- Sony is Relying On Nostalgia for the PS5’s Initial Success, and That’s Very Dangerous