Indie games are kind of a mixed bag. Sometimes they turn out to be complete duds that fade into the lost sea of forgotten games almost as fast as they are released. Other times, they make such an impression that they tend to live on in infamy as poster children of what indie games are meant to be. That’s where Hypercharge: Unboxed comes into play. It was launched on PC back in 2017 and now it’s finally making its console debut on the Nintendo Switch.
Developed by Digital Cybercherries, Hypercharge: Unboxed is a toy-themed FPS that harkens back to the days of Army Men with a modern-day twist. The game is focused around Sgt. Max Ammo who’s tasked with the sole mission of defending the HYPER-CORE and, ultimately, his relationship with his human friends.
Hypercharge: Unboxed brings a number of different gameplay modes and features that include online and local co-op, a fun single-player mode, PvP, and even exploration. A full list of game features includes:
· Co-op – Fight for Toy-kind, together. Squad up with 3 other players in Online / Local Co-op and save the HYPER-CORE from total annihilation.
· PvP – Plastic vs Plastic. Go head-to-head against other small soldiers as you fight to become top of the scoreboard.
· Single-player – Not every hero needs a team. Are you a lone wolf and prefer to play offline on your own? Don’t worry, we’ve got you covered.
· Split-screen – Old school. Buddy up on the sofa and blast the enemy as a team. (4-player Split-screen when connected to the dock).
· Explore – The Sky is your limit. Well, the top shelf is. Unlimited freedom to scavenge each environment for credits, coins, batteries and if you’re skilled enough collectables.
· Fortify – Defend what you swore to protect. Build turrets, traps, walls and fight off evil hordes of weaponized toys. Watch out for the T. Rex.
· Progression – You deserve to look the part. Earn XP, unlock skins and customize your action figure and weapon. Just because you’re small, doesn’t mean you can’t look the part.
· Strategies – The Art of Defense. Discuss tactics with your squad and plan out the best form of defense. Teamwork is crucial if you want to earn the highest tier rewards.
· Difficulty – A choice for the whole family. With Casual, Regular and Expert, there’s always a mode to suit your level of skill.
Hypercharge: Unboxed launches on PC and Nintendo Switch on January 31, 2020 and is now available for pre-ordering via the Nintendo eShop for $19.99.