Despite the reveal-trailer theories that Borderlands 3 could be released on October 1st, Gearbox Software and 2K Games have confirmed, as expected after that leaked tweet, that Borderlands 3 will be released on September 13, 2019. It will be available to play on the Xbox One, PlayStation 4, and PC but, what some feared from the very beginning, PC versions of the game will only be available through the Epic Game Store for the time being. It will reside next to a long list of Epic exclusive games that include The Division 2, the Quantic Dreams games, Control, and even Metro Exodus. If you’re someone who’s largely against the Epic Games store, 2K Games has said that by April 2020, “the game will be available on additional digital storefronts.”
What We Know About Borderlands 3
We have learned more than the Epic Store exclusive status and the official release date, though, including the fact that it will follow in the footsteps of Borderlands 1 and Borderlands 2. By that, we mean that there will be an outrageous number of guns, plenty of vehicles to tear ass and wreak mayhem in, and the typical role-play-style progression of the storyline. There will be several new features as well. There will be several new characters, new worlds to explore outside of Pandora, and what 2K Games describes as “seamless” co-op play.
What Gearbox Says About Borderlands 3
“The originals hooter-looter returns, packing bazillions of guns and an all-new mayhem-fueled adventure. Blast through new worlds and enemies as one of four brand new Vault Hunters — the ultimate treasure-seeking badasses of the Borderlands, each with deep skill trees, abilities, and customization. Play solo or join with friends to take on insane enemies, collect loads of loot, and save your home from the most ruthless cult leaders in the galaxy.”
Borderlands 3 Pricing and Availability
Borderlands 3 will be offered in no fewer than four different versions of the game. The Borderlands 3 standard edition will set you back $59.99 and will get you nothing more than the main game – no DLC, no season pass, and no extra loot. If you pre-order in time, however, you will get gold weapon skins and weapon trinket, so that’s nice, we guess. If you opt for the $79.99 Borderlands 3 Deluxe edition, you’ll get the base game, and the following extras:
· Retro Cosmetic Pack: Vault Hunter head & skin, Echo Device skin, weapon skin;
· Neon Cosmetic Pack: Vault Hunter head & skin, Echo Device skin, weapon trinket;
· Gearbox Cosmetic Pack: weapon skin, weapon trinket;
· Toy Box Weapon Pack: 2 Toy guns, Toy grenade mod, weapon trinket;
· XP & Loot Drop Boost Mods;
· Pre-order bonus: Gold weapon skins & weapon trinket.
Move up to the Borderlands 3 Super Deluxe Edition will give you everything listed above along with the Borderlands 3 season pass. That includes four campaign DLC packs with new stories, new missions, and new challenges. You’ll also get the Butt Stallion weapon skin, weapon trinket, and grenade mod. Keep in mind, however, that the Super Deluxe edition is $99.99 during pre-order status only. Come September 17, 2019; the game price will increase to $119.99. So, if you’re really itching to have the Super Deluxe version, you better jump on the wagon soon than later.
Finally, for those who want to have absolutely everything, you can pay out $249.99 for the Borderlands 3 Diamond Loot Chest Collectors Edition. This is apparently available at Gamestop and includes the base game, all bonus content listed above and a long list of additional extras that include:
- Diamond Loot Chest Replica: Featuring a functional retractable lid, this chest is perfect for storing your real-world loot;
- Borderlands 3 character figurines (x10): Make room on your shelf for the whole crew, including the four new Vault Hunters, the fanatical Calypso Twins, and some of your favorite characters from the Borderlands universe! (Approximately 3” tall.);
- Sanctuary 3 snap model: Construct your very own Sanctuary 3 model ship and display it proudly on its included stand;
- Vault Key keychains (x4): Because you never know when you might stumble across an unopened Vault;
- Cloth galaxy map: Discover new worlds beyond Pandora with Typhon DeLeon’s map of the Borderlands;
- Character art lithographs (x5): Unique character prints starring the new Vault Hunters and fanatical Calypso Twins;
- Borderlands 3 Steelbook case: A gorgeous metal case for any collector’s shelf.
For now, that’s about all we know outside of what we’ve learned from the reveal trailer but, there’s plenty more to come between now and September 13. Stay tuned for updates as they become available.